If you’ve been to one of our Charlotte locations, you know that Carolina Healthspan Institute is not your typical doctors office. From functional medicine to programs designed specifically around peak performance, nutrition plays an extremely important role in one’s performance and long-term health.
The article, Boosting the Athletic Brain – From Nerve Cells to Grey Matter, discusses the omega-3 that strengthens the brain and powers the mind, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a nutrient that many of us are deficient in. While the articles discusses the impact of DHA on reaction time and cognition in Athletes, most of us can benefit from a higher concentration of DHA.
A high concentration of DHA in the neuronal membrane improves neuronal processes such as:
- Neuroplasticity: The brain’s ability to create and re-wire connections between neurons (important during learning and after injury).
- Neurogenesis: The growth and development of neurons.
- Neurite Outgrowth: More projections from neurons.
- Synaptogenesis: The formation of new synapses between neurons.
- Membrane Fluidity: Less resistance in the membrane (important for proper functioning).
- Membrane Protein Function: A change in enzyme activities that improves the transmission of visual signals.
Enhancing memory through nutrition is not just for an aging population facing cognitive decline, it’s critical for anyone who needs to make quick and efficient decisions in the workplace, at home or on the field. DHA supplementation rewires the brain to react quicker, improve visual processing speed, and serves as a neurorprotective shield for future brain, eye and cardiovascular health.
Here are a few articles that we’ve previously mentioned DHA and it’s impact on your overall health.
- Power Up Your Brain – https://carolinahealthspan.com/power-up-your-brain/
- 7 Different Ways to Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease – https://carolinahealthspan.com/7-different-ways-to-prevent-alzheimers-disease/